27.9.11

This Is What I Did Today

There are days when I wake up in the morning thinking about cooking. Kind of a "hmmm....what would be fun to make today?" thought. Sometimes it's cookies or a simple cake. Sometimes a portabella and bechamel lasagana, a light and airy pavlova or fresh peach jam.

Today, it was mayonnaise. Not very elegant, I get it. But WOW! Creamy, tangy and a deep rich color - not the creamy white from the market. This is a rich and pale chartreuse because of the extra virgin olive oil that gets slowly poured in towards the end.







There are tons of recipes out there for mayonnaise made with evoo, but they're all pretty similar. Actually, I got inspired to make my own because I was watching Ina Garten ~ that sweet Contessa ~ make some on her show. She added fresh basil to hers (uber yum!) which I really wanted to do but I was fresh out. It was still delicious though and I slathered it on some soft sourdough bread and made a really good sandwich for my lunch today.


After that I played around with an idea for a favor for our church's Ladies Christmas dinner. I'm the captain of that committee so... I came up with these which I like because they're useful you know; not just for that evening or the holiday season but something they can use throughout the year.




I still need to come up with a couple more ideas though so please feel free to throw some my way. Criteria: INEXPENSIVE ~ not more than $1 per person and we'll have about 150 ladies; also quick and relatively easy.

Have you ever received a favor at a church function?
What did you like about it? Did you use it or get rid of
it that night by leaving it at your table (not judging).


2 comments:

  1. I still have all 3 Christmas ornaments from that same Christmas dinner. They aren't super spectacular, but they mean something to me so I've kept them all these years.

    And, by the way, only you could make mayonnaise look so good. I tried making it a few years ago and it was a total flop--THREE times in a row! I made need a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 clothes pegs, get some magnetic tape from a craft store then they are perfect for the fridge to hold almost anything! I am planning to make glass bead glitter magnets too on this page! So cheap and pretty and useful :) Sorry if its a bit late with the favours idea..

    http://www.tuscanydesign.net/craftbook/2011/06/glitter-glass-magnets-and-pins/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails